Sunday, March 9, 2014

Another Failure

     I am experiencing another failure right now. I have this massive research paper about Edgar Allan Poe due tomorrow, and I have been working on it for about 7 hours today, along with continuous work throughout the past week. I have come up with many ideas, but I keep rejecting them all because I'm afraid that they're not good enough. I'm afraid that they're going to be wrong, and I am getting nowhere on this essay. I am so afraid of failing this assignment that I am doing nothing. I have accomplished almost nothing in the 7 hours that I have been working today. I am gridlocked. The question that I am left with is this: How do I overcome this fear?
     I think that the only way to truly fail is to do nothing. My fear of failing itself is causing me to fail, since it is forcing me to do nothing. Therefore, I have figured that I have to just write something down. I have copious amounts of research and ideas that I have thought up but rejected. I have begun to realize that if something isn't perfect in my mind, I count it as a failure. Even my rough draft has to be perfect. I have set such high expectations for myself that I will never be able to fill my own shoes. I have written and erased and re-written this blog post numerous times already because I didn't think it was perfect. In an attempt to accept "good enough', I am going to post so I gont have the chance to rrase again.

2 comments:

  1. Connor,

    Take a deep breath!! You've blogged about the opportunities that your failures have led you to before, and in regards to your Edgar Allan Poe project, I hope you were able to take a look at the GOOD ideas you had come up with and not worry so much about being absolutely perfect.

    Don't get me wrong, striving for perfection is admirable! It shows how conscientious and determined you are to be successful. That being said, I don't want you to be so stuck on perfection that you shut down. You had it right when you said that the only way to truly fail is to do nothing. Resist the urge to back yourself into a corner. Don't write yourself off. Your ideas are valid!

    One bit of advice from a fellow perfectionist: instead of trying to make every idea perfect as you go, get all of your thoughts out on paper and THEN go back and revise. That way your ideas are out on paper before your mind shuts down with the thought that your ideas aren't worth it.

    You can do it! Here are a few quotes to keep you going!!

    "If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate." --Anonymous

    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" –Confucius

    You can do it!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Becca! Your support has been a great force in my progress, and I'm very grateful for that! Thanks again for your advice and support!

    ReplyDelete