Monday, March 24, 2014

Great Progress

     Hello everyone! I did not publish a post last week, as directed by Mr. P. We have decided that a blog post every other week would be a better way to allow us to accomplish more between posts in order to provide more substance and less fluff.
     Last week, I was invited to see a group called Stomp. Stomp is a percussion group that preforms using only everyday objects, such as brooms, various pots, pans, and tubs, plastic bags, garbage cans, and even Zippo lighters. From my knowledge, this group started as a band of street percussionists, and expanded into a group prestigious enough to preform at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. As you can imagine, this performance was amazing to me, being a fellow percussionist. Throughout the show, I noticed that most of it was scripted, but parts of it were also improvisation, or making it up on the fly. These musicians communicated solely through their music, and were completely crisp and in sync. This show conveyed two main messages to me. One being that music is a language of its own, and learning to speak it is an incredible skill. The message is that your passions can take you anywhere. These street musicians expanded to worldwide tours, just through expressing their passion of music.
     This past weekend, I attended the Michigan wide Leadership conference as a part of student council. This is a yearly conference put on by MASC/MAHS, which stands for Michigan Association of Student Councils/Honors Societies. It is put on to develop us as leaders and help us improve our school tough instruction and the sharing of ideas among students on how to improve our schools. The theme of the conference this year was about being a Leadership Avalanche and how we can be a force of nature if we set our mind to it. While this conference was a ton of fun, I also learned a lot throughout it. We had a couple speakers, all with somewhat similar messages. I learned that you cannot set an agenda for your life, because life will throw you curve balls, and will throw you off course. Another theme that was expressed through the talks was that any goal can be reached, but it will require you to step outside your comfort zone and take risks. No real goal can be reached easily, you have to risk failing sometimes. This talk specifically hit me. I realized that I will not be able to accomplish anything in my life if I am too scared to do anything. Taking risks and failing is a part of life, it is how we grow and learn as people. Wayne Gretzky once said: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." I will have to take shots, and I will miss sometimes, but I have the possibility to be rewarded if I risk failing. Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Connor M, Your goal can be reached and don't be afraid to take the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor,

    I must applaud you once again. Your project is much more than what you started out with: this process of self-reflection is making you a stronger student and a stronger individual every step of your journey. It is a real treat to read your blog because of how clearly passionate you are about your topic and finding out how to overcome failure in your project and outside of school as well.
    The Stomp performance sounds amazing! What's better, the messages you got out of seeing the performance are so great. You seem to have a knack for analyzing a situation or experience and figuring out something positive to take away from it, which is a fabulous thing to be able to do. Keep it up!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete