Sunday, April 6, 2014

A not-so-exciting two weeks

     Hello Everyone! I hope all is well! I must tell you that I did not plan my blog posts very well. Last post, I wrote about my experience at STOMP and the Leadership State Conference, leaving myself without much of a topic for this post. I apologize for my lack of planning, but I do have a topic for this week as well.
   
     Every Friday during 20 Time, we have started sharing our progress on our projects in order to give us a feel for how it is speaking in front of a group and what we are going to talk about in our presentations. Through listening to these updates, I have found that a handful of students have failed initially at their projects, but have kept going, or changed their goals to one that will be achievable within the time frame given. These friends of mine are showcasing what my presentation is going to be about. My whole presentation is going to be about how people can fail and not be perfect, as long as they do not give up on their cause.

     This project has been a great learning experience for me. I have learned, not only through my pursuit of music, but in many aspects of life, that, as much as I would like to be, I am not a perfect person. I will make mistakes, and I will fail. Obsessing over all of my mistakes and failures is not how I will be successful, it is the only way I can truly fail. Learning from my mistakes and valuing all of my victories is how I will be successful. My dad once showed me this picture, and it had a great impact on me. He showed me this when I was in analysis paralysis, which means that I was thinking too much and not functioning at all. While showing me this, he impressed upon me that all of the most famously successful people in life take the road on the right. This project, and observing my friend's projects, had illustrated to me that the road on the right is the road I need to start taking. Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Connor,

    The image you shared with your blog post is one that I have seen before as well. It resonated with me when I first saw it because of the same reasons you describe: what you coined as "analysis paralysis" is all too common in students' brains (including mine) because most of us believe that if we fail at something, there is no way to bounce back from the failure (as the left image suggests). It is such a valuable less to learn, as you have, that failure is not the end-all of a project, but is actually an opportunity to transform something into something new. The determination to move forward from failure and to not let failure distract you from your initial purpose is the key to success.

    I am interested in hoe your final presentation ends up. Your blog posts have been extremely interesting and fun to follow along with, and I wish you luck as you continue with your presentation prep and project.

    Sincerely,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Becca! I am still working on learning how to bounce back, but I am already proud of my progress. Thanks again for all of your support!

    ReplyDelete